Thursday, August 7, 2008

More Web 2.0 Tools

Since the residency, I’ve worked with Second Life virtual world, blogging, online mind mapping, and Audacity for podcasting. My work requires me to use meeting software at least four times per month. I see the expanded tools SL offers over meeting software (e.g., Elluminate and Connect). From my experience learning new applications and teaching applications to other people, I can’t say the learning curve to effectively use functions in SL such as navigating and changing avatar appearance is worth the effort.

The blogging requirement on blogspot is giving me a reason to become comfortable with the tool. Posting comments like those in my blog for the world to read still makes me uncomfortable.

My first adventure with mind mapping occurred with Mindmeister. The application reminds me of other diagramming software. The sharing capability is beneficial and saves sending the file via email or using a document sharing portal. A sample image I created from Mindmeister is Student Portal that was original created with one account and revised as a shared image from another account.

Creating a podcast is new to me though I’ve known about the ability from peers. Audacity is the application I decided to try out for recording. I found the application easy to work with but am disappointed to have it generate errors and close periodically as I edited my audio file.

My adventure with Web 2.0 tools continues…

3 comments:

HM said...

I like your comments and applicability to learning curve. Spoken like a true teacher. New technology will always need to overcome ease of use and acceptance. I found your insights on Mindmeister and Audacity similiar to mine. Take care, HM

Gem Michigan said...

I ventured into Plurk as an alternative to Twitter. Plurk has an easy to understand and use interface compared to Twitter.

Another tool I tried is LinkedIn for a social networking site which is job oriented. I need more time on the site before saying anything else about its functionality.

Carol's CS-855 Blog said...

i have tried to set up MindWeb to use for this purpose and it is difficult to use. Couldn't figure how to create the content. I wanted to map my hard drive. I keep hundreds of files and I thought this tool would allow me to better visualize where things are located. I'm going to try MindMeister and Audacity to see if they are easier to use.